One thing that bothers me in my community, the United States, is way too much positive thinking, and the belief that it solves everything. In my opinion, I think people put so much faith in the power of positive thinking, that they forget that actual work needs to be done. Believing everything will work itself out, and believing the country will just prosper is dangerous at best. Over time, things will likely be worked out, but not on the own. People will just sit back, believe everything will get better, and do nothing. Then they will look down on anyone who looks at things realistically, saying that they just need to smile and think positive.
I believe this is how Barack Obama got his presidency. He rode in off the coattails of hope, and the belief that everything will get better. It was an intelligent campaign strategy. I'll give him that. He even won a Nobel Peace Prize for his 'vision'. That, to me, proves people are relying on positive thinking way too much to make things better. You don't have to be cynical to be realistic, but it's all the same to the overly positive thinkers. I'm hopeful for the future too. I admit that, but I don't think that, in itself, is quite enough. People should start waking up and looking at the world more apprehensively.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment